Starehe’s Founders understood that the future of Starehe would be secured by the Starehe Alumni; the Old Boys & Young Women of the Starehe Schools. And so in 1969, Dr. Griffin personally established the Old Starehian Society and became a Life Member. OSS provides a platform through which alumni can unite and serve the schools and the society more effectively.
Eligibility for Membership
OSS Membership is open to any of the following persons:
- Any alumni of the Starehe Schools,
- Past or present member of staff of the Starehe Schools
- Any past or present member of the governance bodies of the Starehe Schools
- Any person who has been closely connected with the Starehe Schools for at least ten years, or who has rendered noteworthy contribution, and who is elected by a 75% majority vote at an Annual General Meeting.
Benefits of Membership
- Eligibility to serve in various governance organs of Starehe e.g. Committees & sub-committees of the MC, the OSS, GMET
- Eligibility to vie or vote at the AGM
- Power to hold OSS/ Starehe leadership accountable
- Eligibility for Welfare Support e.g access to Alumni Support Fund
- Eligibility for business and career support e.g. through recommendations from OSS and mentorship
- Access to exclusive networks such as Starehians in Government, Starehians in C-Level Corporate Leadership, Professional Caucuses
- Discounts on OSS events and facilities
- Access to OSS database
- A membership certificate
Our membership is structured into four categories as follows:
- Student or Associate Membership (SAMS): Any Alumnus of the Starehe Schools who left any of the Schools within the last ten years, and who chooses to register within this category, may register as a Student or Associate Member, on payment of the necessary Membership Fees. A member who qualifies to register as a Student or Associate Member, is also eligible to register as an Ordinary or Life Member if he or she chooses to do so.
- Ordinary Membership (OMS): Any person eligible for membership as described above may register as an Ordinary Member on payment of the necessary Membership Fees. The Ordinary Membership is renewable annually
- Life Membership (LMS): Any person eligible for membership as described above may also choose to register as a Life Member on payment of the necessary Membership Fees. Life Membership is a permanent membership, not subject to annual renewals. However life members may be required to pay a token annual admin fee to stay active and in good standing.
- Honorary Life Membership: Honorary Life Membership may be conferred upon persons who have rendered most distinguished service to the Starehe Schools or to the Society. Such membership shall be select and candidates may only be put up for election at an Annual General Meeting by a unanimous proposal of the Committee. They shall require a 75% majority vote of the Annual General Meeting in order to be elected.
Our membership fees include Life Membership Fee, Annual Subscriptions and Administration Fees. However we do not have entrance/ joining fees. The Executive Committee determines the membership fees from time to time and the current membership rates are available below.
|MEMBERSHIP CATEGORY||ONE OFF (KES)||ANNUAL (KES)||REMARKS|
|Life||120,000||N/A||One can opt for up to 5 annual payments of KES30,000 each|
|Associate – Student||N/A||200||Open to alumni who left Starehe within the last 6 years and still in colleges/ universities|
|Associate – Employed||N/A||1,200||Open to alumni who left Starehe within the last 6-10 years and are just starting out in their careers|
|Corporate Group Discount||N/A||300,000||Admits all members of the year group in their individual capacity as ordinary members.|
|Honorary||N/A||N/A||Conferred upon persons who have rendered most distinguished service to the Starehe Schools or to the Society.|
To be a member in good standing, one needs to have fully paid up his or her Membership Fees and s any other requirements which may, from time to time, be defined by the Committee.
Payment for Membership
To register for membership, you need to fill this form and make your payment through the options below
To subscribe via Bank Transfer, use the following details
- Bank: Standard chartered Bank
- Branch: Harambee Avenue
- Bank Code: 02
- Branch Code: 019
- Swift Code: SCBLKENXXXX
- Account No: 0102095793100
- Account Name: Old Starehian Society
- Purpose: (File No/ Name & subscription code e.g. 3452 OMS)
To subscribe via M-PESA, use the following details
- Paybill Number: 949494
- Account: (File No/ Name & subscription code e.g. 3452 OMS)
Cessation of Membership
Cessation of Membership is also provided through Resignation or Expulsion as per the guidance in the OSS Constitution. One might also cease to be a member if they don’t pay their annual subscriptions. Members who fail to pay the annual administration fee also become suspended